Search

The 1791 Thinkshop and 87 Ideas Workshop

Front door for the secondhalf of my life using my time while disabled to become a book reviewer, editor, and blogger……. Advocating for Liberty and Veterans who suffer with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Severe Memory Impairment, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumas, and those with Crohn's Disease and Seizure Disorder. Of course too I may muster the courage to begin my Scale Models again but fight tremor so bad that it maybe something best to just hang up and sell off. I've lost nearly every enjoyable skill and struggle with the idea of "doing it at all if I can't do so to the ability I once had". I'm most busy with doctors appointments and maintaining my 118 Year Old House, My Shop, Ranting, Retirement, and More… This blog was begun right before my health, career, and entire life's direction was wildly changed, so though the page is 3+ years old, it is bare boned.

Tag

Engine

20121226-171201.jpg

Ferrari 312T (Unbuilt) Unboxing

19 Nov Update- Received the unbuilt model today…. all the pieces appear to be accounted for. There are only a few parts separated from the sprues, but of concern is that the nose cowling molded in chrome is one of them. It looks as though it’s been bumped around quite a bit over the last 20+ years, but looking through a plastic bag; I can’t really tell. I’ll deal with that on another day though. The decals however are absolutely horrible and I will have to order some aftermarket to do the job

**Feel free to make a recommendation if you know of some good ones**

As with any kit, the first thing I’m going to do is to say the hell with the instructions and go straight for the engine! (It’s the American way!) Parts: A21, A17 (Engine Block), A20, A56 (Block Ends), and A18, A19 (Head Covers) are removed from the tree immediately. I already have them in a kevlar bag upstairs in the bedroom with my mobile tool bag and will trim the sprue bits off before I go to bed tonight. Test fitting that will make me feel as though I’ve actually begun this build. I have about 5 different shades of aluminum and steel Alclad that are going to bring this huge 12 cylinder Ferrari Boxer engine to life. The clutch is a Borg & Beck driven by a Ferrari 015 Trasversale transmission. More to come, but aside from the decal let down I’m very happy with the unboxing of the Ferrari 312T4.

-Thanks for looking

Follow along in the WIP area http://wp.me/P1eftU-5q : or @ ModelCarMag Forum, or eScale Model Forum.

Tamiya Enzo Ferrari (#2)

Ok, I know that a lot of you guys have built this model… I have chosen most specifically to build this Tamiya Enzo because I started to build the Revell Enzo at the same time (WIP forthcoming). Inspiration for this model goes like this: I want to see what new skills or tricks I can learn while building two clean and complicated models; basically pitting them against each other. I can tell you that right out of the box, the Tamiya is by far a cleaned mold (no, duh) and is more detailed to some degree. To already draw some clear differences that matter between the models, I’ll use the rotors as an example. While the Tamaiya has nicely detailed good scale rotors and brake caplipers, the vent hole details are not uniform in placement and are not molded as cleanly as the Revell. The plastic on the Tamiya seems to me is more difficult to drill cleanly in; that combined with the un-uniformed holes has made drilling out the vent holes in the rotors on the Tamiya near impossible and I abandoned the idea after just four holes. The Revell however has 64 nice clean holes drilled cleanly through all four rotors with a #77 drill bit (see in that WIP to come later)

At this point I’ve got the engine completed for the most part on this Tamiya build: everything received Krylon primer and the block is painted with a base of Rustoleum Metallic Silver Lacquer, followed by a bronze/steel wash, details are Tamiya Metallic Gray, Titanium Gold, Titanium Silver, and MM Steel…. There is a silver coated Beadelon wire run for the starter and 24 gauge yellow wire removed from an old DVR cord for the four terminals on the backside of the valve covers. I’ve jumped into a lot of the rest already, so I’ll post WIP’s as components begin coming together. Next up will be the engine compartment and mounting; I have already layed and cut out aluminum duct tape throughout to simulate the heat shielding and will touch up sprue marks on exhaust and weather with a burnt iron wash then.  Thanks for looking!

 

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: